Stephen Ministry is a program of Asbury that equips lay persons to provide distinctively Christian one-to-one care to those who are experiencing all kinds of life needs and circumstances, both in our congregation and community.
Stephen Ministers are committed Christian people who:
- express God's care through their lives to others;
- receive 50 hours of initial training in important caring ministry skills and concepts;
- are commissioned as Stephen Ministers after completing their initial training;
- visit another person in regularly and dependably and offer Christian support and care;
- participate in regular support and supervision under the guidance of trained Stephen Leaders;
- are committed to preserving the confidential nature of the caring relationship;
- service for at least two years;
- receive continuing education and skill building throughout their years of service.